The marigolds are plants that even the most inexperienced gardener, who has never done flowering before, can easily grow. One of the most unpretentious and easy plants to grow. The only disadvantage - it does not reproduce itself, because it is thermophilic. This is not surprising, because it came to Europe from hot South America.
- Main species of velvets
- Delta upright (African)
- Delta declined (French)
- Delta slender-leaved (Mexican)
- When to plant velvets in seedbeds on the lunar calendar of 2022
- When to plant Velvet flowers in different regions
- How to plant unplanted flowers
- When the seedlings will appear
- Watering and feeding
- Hardening the flowers before planting
- Useful properties of velvets
- Video on when to plant velvets in seedbeds
Main species of velvets
The velvets, tagetes, blackbrush are not species of plant, but different names of the flower. And in total there are more than 50 species of it. But only a few of these have been taken by breeders and produced a large number of varieties and hybrids that have become very common in floriculture.
Barkhats straight (African)
The tallest representatives of tagetes. They grow from 30-35 cm up to 120 cm and have, unlike other species, a main, well defined, stem with abundant foliage. Some varieties are shown in the table:
|Variety name||Height, cm||Flower diameter, cm||Color|
|Бархатный сезон||80-90||10-15||Желтый, оранжевый, красный|
Бархатцы Declined (French)
They have low, strongly branching bushes. Branching begins at the base of the bush. At the peak of flowering, the plant becomes globular, solidly covered with flowers.
|Grade name||Height, cm||Flower diameter, см||Цвет|
|Болеро||20-30||5-7||Оранжевый с желтой серединой|
|Эскимо||Up to 40-50||6- 7||Creamy with yellow сердцевиной|
Бархатцы Thin-leaved (Mexican)
Compact bushes with numerous unflowered flowers. Forms branching spherical shaped bushes.
|Grade name||Height, cm||Flower diameter, cm||Color|
|Лимонный самоцвет||20-30||До 2||Ярко-лимонный|
|Красный самоцвет||20- 30||До 2||Красный с желтой серединкой|
When to plant velvet flowers for seedlings according to the 2022 lunar calendar
Based on the lunar sowing calendar data, you can choose the best time to sow all crops, including flowers. Tagetes seeds are prepared for sowing only in March because this plant cannot tolerate even slight cold.
- Favorable days are 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 16, 17, 19, 20, 29, 30, 31.
- Unfavorable - 1, 2, 18, 27, 28.
- Favorable days - 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9,12, 13, 14, 15, 28.
- Unfavorable - 1, 16, 23,24, 25, 29, 30.
- Favorable - 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 25, 26.
- Unfavorable - 16, 21, 22, 29, 30, 31.
When to plant velvet plants in different regions
When growing tagetes in different regions of our country the first thing to consider is, of course, their very low cold tolerance. At a temperature of +1-2 ° C, the seedlings are guaranteed to die. At +10 ° and below plant growth stops for 10-15 days, the above-ground part becomes bluish, and then it takes a long time to recover. The age of seedlings planted in the open field should not exceed 30-40 days.
InSiberia, the Urals, the Far Eastplants are planted at the end of the first decade of June. Seeds are sown in containers or cassettes closer to the middle of May.
Middle belt and Moscow area. Here by the end of May there are good conditions in which it is possible to plant seedlings in the ground. Seeds should be sown in late April.
At South of the country, the velveteen can be planted in the ground as sprouts and seeds. This work can be timed for the end of April to early May. The seedling method is only used for earlier flowering.
How to sprout velvet plants
The velvet seeds are large enough and germinate quickly. Sprouts are not difficult to grow in a room on a bright windowsill. Although the plant is undemanding in terms of soil, acidity and other indicators, you still need to create the ideal conditions for it to get high-quality seedlings.
Make a soil mixture that includes: humus, peat, turf soil, sand in a 1:1:1:0.5 ratio. The root system germinates well with any soil structure, so the introduction of any additional loosening components is not necessary.
Anything with a minimum height of 5 cm is suitable. Drainage in the form of coarse sand with a layer of 1 cm is placed at the bottom. Also drainage holes in the containers for draining excess water.
How to sow correctly? The procedure is as follows:
- Pour the bottom layer of potting soil 3 cm high, compact it a little and pour warm water over it.
- Seeds are placed on the surface. Velveeta in the seedling period is not afraid of overgrowth, so you can sow densely.
- The layer of soil is covered, without compacting it. Spray the top with a sprayer.
- Top is covered and left in a warm place until the first shoots appear.
When the shoots appear
At +24-25° you usually see shoots on the 5th-7th day after sowing. The cover can be removed immediately and the seedlings can continue to be grown at room temperature. Sprouts appear 2 weeks later if the seedlings are grown outdoors.
Tagetas seedlings are not prone to elongation, but still growing at elevated temperatures is not recommended. But lowering the temperature below +14° is also not very useful for the plant, since the dangerous seedling disease black stem may appear.
High room temperature combined with insufficient light can still lead to the seedlings begin to stretch out. Therefore, grow seedlings of marigold on a light window sill. In March, extra light is not necessary.
Pouring and fertilizing
The tagetes are very drought-resistant in the open air. But during the growing season, you should make sure that the ground lump does not dry out. Watering is made twice a week with warm water. Fertilizing with full mineral fertilizers is carried out if necessary once at the appearance of the first true leaf. You can also spend foliar feeding with one of the growth stimulants - HB-101, Epin, Energen, amber acid solution (1 tablet per 0.5 L of water).
If the plant density in the containers is low, you can do without picking. If the decision has been made to transplant the seedlings, this can be done safely, as they tolerate transplanting very well. But cultivars with large flower heads, such as the Amber variety with a diameter of 10-15 cm, must be pricked, otherwise you won't be able to expect such a large flower.
Hardening seedlings before planting in the ground
As any plant raised in the room, velveteen seedlings must undergo this procedure. The hardening of plants begins 2 weeks before planting in the ground. First made in the open air for 15-20 minutes and every day increasing the time spent in the sun for 20 minutes. At the end of the hardening period, the plants may be left outside not only all day but overnight as well.
Useful properties of velvets
Scientific gardeners grow many velvets in their plots. What for? Leaving aside the benefits of tagetes for the human body and its use for medicinal purposes (which is a proven fact), let's see how to use velveteen to protect our garden plants.
- If any kind of cabbage is grown on a plot, then several bushes of velveteen should be planted around such a plot, which will rid the plantings of butterfly whites, from the eggs of which caterpillars develop - the most dangerous pest of cabbage.
- The use of tagetes as a siderat is effective. The soil after growing the plant gets a good structure, gets rid of nematodes and wireworm, fusarium fungus. However, the green mass, suitable for sideration, grows only in the second half of summer.
- The great influence of velvet plants on the Colorado potato beetle, which during its main flight, bypasses the potato plots with plantings of tagetes. Of course, too many velvet plants are needed for large plots, but a few rows of potatoes can be protected against this pest.
- Young fruit tree seedlings can also be effectively protected against many pests by planting 1-2 bushes of velvet plants under their crowns.
Video on when to plant velvet plants
The optimum sowing dates for velvet plants to grow strong seedlings. Tips from an experienced florist. Join in the viewing!