With the extreme climatic fluctuations typical of Siberia, heat-loving tomatoes are cultivated as seedlings. This allows for a good harvest.
- Tomato varieties for Siberia
- When to plant tomatoes in Siberia
- When to plant seedlings in greenhouses
- When to plant seedlings in the open field
- When to to plant tomatoes in Siberia in 2022 according to the lunar calendar
- Preparing the ground
- Preparing seeds or seedlings for planting
- How to plant tomatoes in Siberia
- Video about When to start sowing tomatoes in the Siberian region
Tomato varieties for Siberia
Bearing in mind the short Siberian summer with sharp temperature variations, tomatoes with the following characteristics are chosen for cultivation:
- high cold tolerance;
- friendly early ripening of fruits;
- good adaptation in different conditions;
- pleasant taste.
The most suitable varieties would be those that have been released. Among the extensive list are the following varieties:
- \"King of Siberia\". A medium-ripening variety. Appreciated for its pleasant sweetish taste of golden-yellow, juicy fruits. Their weight reaches 400-850 grams. The yield is 6-10 kg/m2.
- \"Abakansky pink\". The tall bushes of early maturing sort yield large (500-900g) fruits. When ripe, they are colored pink. The yield is 4-5 kg/m2.
- \"Siberian apple\". The fruits of this medium-ripening variety weigh about 200 g, colored crimson. They have a dense, sugary flesh, with an excellent taste. Yields 5-8 kg/m2.
- \"Ultra-ripe. Variety demonstrates high resistance to disease. Fruiting begins 85-95 days after sprouting. The weight of red fruits with good taste reaches 90 g. The yield is 6-10 kg / m
- \"Siberian Surprise. Elongated, red fruits of unpretentious medium-early cultivars weighing 80-150 g and have a tangy taste of juicy flesh. Yields 6-10 kg/m2.
Можно grow other frost-resistant tomatoes in Siberia: \"Blizzard\", \"Siberian Kiwi\" \"Heavyweight of Siberia\", \"Vityaz\", \"Lord\". Cultivate also varieties: \"Alsu\", \"Fox\", \"Great Warrior\", \"Sensei\", \"Malachite Casket\", \"Snowy Tale\", \"Demidov\", \"Pride of Siberia\". Hybrids demonstrate good yields, such as: \"Beautiful Lady F1\", \"Tolstoy F1\", \"Olya F1\", \"Andromeda golden F1\", \"Grechanka F1\".
Можно other varieties from the list of tomatoes, Recommended for cultivation in Siberia.
When to plant tomatoes in Siberia
For seedlings, sow in March. A more precise calculation depends on the planned time of moving the seedlings to a permanent place. It should be taken into account that two-month-old plants are considered most viable.
When to plant seedlings in greenhouses
The gardeners begin to move young tomato plants under film cover in the first decade of May. It is important that the ground warms up well by this time (up to 8-12 °C), so you should be guided by the weather.
When to plant seedlings in the open ground
For beds that do not imply additional film cover, you can move tomatoes in the second or third decade of June. Make sure that overnight return frosts have stopped by this time. The air temperature during the day should be at least +18 °C.
When to plant tomatoes in Siberia in 2022 according to the lunar calendar
Favorable days for planting seedlings in the open ground:
- April: 1, 13, 14, 15, 17, 18, 19, 20, 25;
- May: 5, 6, 10, 11, 12, 15, 16, 17, 22, 23, 24, 25;
- June: 6, 7, 8, 11, 12, 13, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22.
Unfavorable daysfor planting: April 5-7, 12, 27; May 3, 4, 11, 2; June 10, 24, 27, 28.
In spring it is important to select a nutritious loose soil substrate for seedlings. It can be purchased at a specialized store.
If garden soil is used, humus, sand, milled peat are added to it in equal proportions. A pink solution of potassium permanganate is used to disinfect the soil or sprinkled with boiling water.
The plot for tomatoes should be sunny and protected from the prevailing winds. There should be no waterlogging caused by the high location of aquifers. Cucumbers, carrots, peas are good predecessors. It is possible to grow tomatoes after cauliflower. But it is dangerous to use ridges where nightshades have been cultivated in the current season.
Beds begin to prepare in the fall season. Before digging, sprinkle evenly potassium salt (25 g) and superphosphate (50 g) at the rate of 1 m2. Depleted light loam is additionally saturated with organics by using decomposed humus (5-6 kg/m2).
In spring, 7-8 days before the predicted planting, the soil is loosened again with a pitchfork, adding per sq. The greenhouse is placed on level ground away from tall buildings and trees. This will provide the tomatoes with sufficient light. The soil used is the same as on the plot with the necessary nutrient compounds applied.
It is recommended that the top soil layer be cut 10-15 cm every 3-5 years under permanent cover if dangerous infections appear. Fresh soil substrate is added in its place after the autumn disinfection with a pink manganese solution.
The soil used for tomato cultivation should be neutral. A slightly acidic reaction is acceptable. If the soil is acidic, then in the fall, before plowing, lime is introduced - pushonka (ground chalk or dolomite flour), using 300-400 g/m2.
Preparing seeds or seedlings for planting
Before spring planting the seeds in containers filled with special decontaminated substrate, they must be prepared. This will produce strong seedlings.
There are several procedures to follow:
- Decontamination. If the seeds were purchased in a store, study the label. Usually the manufacturer conducts disinfection, so it is not necessary to repeat it. Self-prepared seed is placed in a gauze bag. Immersed in a pink solution of potassium permanganate for 10-15 minutes. Then rinse with clean water.
- Stratification. For hardening purposes, decontaminated tomato seeds are wrapped in a gauze cloth and placed in the refrigerator for 3 days.
- Germination. Spread the prepared seeds between damp gauze napkins. Keep warm, sprinkling with water as needed, until germination.
Готовая рассада must also undergo a hardening stage before being moved to seedbeds under film or outdoor conditions. Two weeks before transplanting, they should be placed on a balcony or veranda, increasing the duration of outdoor exposure daily.
In order to prevent fungal infections, seedlings should be irrigated with Bordeaux (1%) liquid 6-7 days before moving to the garden. One hour before planting, the seedlings are watered, which will facilitate extraction from the pots without root damage.
How to plant tomatoes in Siberia
Sow the seeds as follows:
- The planting box with a drainage layer on the bottom is filled with prepared substrate, which is moistened.
- Set furrows 15 mm deep, leaving a gap between them 6-8 cm. Spread the tomato seeds at 2-2.5 cm intervals. If sowing is carried out in separate cups, make 3 wells in them. Excess shoots are then cut off.
- The seeds are covered with soil and the surface of the soil is sprayed with settling water from a sprayer.
- Tighten the transparent film over the container, which is removed after the formation of shoots. Keep in a warm, bright room.
Potting into individual pots from a common box is done after 3-4 leaves appear on the seedlings.
To move the seedlings to the open beds or under cover in the greenhouse, choose evening time. During the day, at high temperatures, young hay plants dry out quickly, which leads to poor establishment.
Algorithm of action:
- In a prepared ridge, make a marking. The rows are left 0.7-0.7 m wide. The interval between the wells for compact low varieties make about 40 cm. If high-growing varieties are planted, the step increases to 50-55 cm.
- The planting holes are dug. Their depth is on average 30 cm. Put a tablet of Heteroauxin in each hole. This drug improves root formation and helps to prevent dangerous diseases.
- Gently remove the tomato seedling from the container without destroying the ground ball.
- Place the plant in the center of the hole and gently fill all voids with soil, tamping the layers slightly. If the seedling is very elongated, the practice is to lay the stem with the lower leaves removed on the wall of the hole, and then cover with soil. The upper part with the leaves should be above the surface of the ground.
- A strong peg is driven near the plant, to which the stem is tied. This will keep it from being damaged. The greenhouse is equipped with trellises to which it is more convenient to fix the tomato bushes as they develop and form.
After watering and planting, it is recommended to cover tomatoes with mulch (hay, chopped straw, dry crushed peat) that preserves moisture and maintains a loose soil.
Video on when to start sowing tomatoes in the Siberian region
How to choose a good date for sowing tomato in Siberia. When to sow seeds to get strong, viable seedlings. Join in the viewing!
When the optimal sowing and planting dates are observed, you can successfully get a good stable yield of tomatoes even in Siberia with a short summer. It is important to grow varieties that have been released. Early-ripening tomato varieties are preferred.