May is the last month of spring, during which gardeners have a busy time on the plot: they have to take care of the awakening plants, prepare the soil for the beds and allocate space in the greenhouses for the vegetable and fruit crops that will later be planted there. The main terms of sowing seeds for seedlings (from February to April) have already passed, but May is the period allowing to \"jump into the last wagon\" and still sow certain useful crops. We tell you what plants to plant in seedlings and the greenhouse in May 2022 in different regions of Russia.
- What to sow for seedlings in May in Central Russia and the Moscow region
- Fruit and vegetable crops
- Flowers and decorative plants
- Sowing seeds for seedlings in May: Siberia
- Cultures to plant seedlings in May in the Urals
- Plants to plant in the greenhouse in May
- Favorable planting days according to the lunar calendar in May 2022
- Videos about, What to plant in May
What to plant for seedlings in May in the middle belt of Russia and the Moscow region
The middle belt of Russia in May can offer many surprises in terms of temperature changes, especially the difference between night air temperatures and daytime temperatures is noticeable. Abrupt changes can have a negative effect on young plants too eagerly transplanted into the open ground. However, May is a great time to harden seedlings before planting, as long as you keep the planting dates. Some environmentally sensitive plants feel fine when sown in May and quickly catch up with their \"box\" mates sown for seedlings in March-April with a long germination period.
Fruit and Vegetable crops
There are several types of plants that can be put on this list. Most often, May seedlings are cold-sensitive crops and should not be planted early in the open ground. These include:
- Colored cabbage. Careful selection of seeds is necessary: it is better to choose those that are larger. For fast sprouting of seedlings from such seeds it is recommended to warm them for 15-20 minutes in hot water (about 40-45 degrees Celsius), and then cool and soak in a solution of potassium permanganate (manganese). It is enough to dissolve a few crystals in 1 liter of water (it is better not to make a lot of solution in stock, it loses its properties in the air) for a slightly pink color;
- White cabbage (early varieties). Very sensitive to low overnight temperatures, so seedlings should be kept in warmed greenhouses (and if there is a threat of frost at all, it is better to cover the young sprouts). However, hardened and unspoiled by the warmth, early-ripening cabbage can give you a good harvest already from July;
- Pumpkins, zucchinis and patissons. They germinate great if you soak them before planting them in seedlings. Since the seeds are large, there is no need to be stingy with the place, planting the seeds immediately in the prepared and watered holes. Deepening is small, 1.5 cm for rooting. The planting place can be noticed with a stick;
- Cucumbers. Germinate in twenty-four hours if two basic principles are followed: moderate humidity and constant heat. The sprouted grains are selected and planted in boxes at an equal distance from each other, about 2-3 cm apart;
- Melons. For better sprouts and healthier sprouts, melon seeds should be soaked beforehand. In the middle belt, it is recommended to grow melons and watermelons exclusively through seedlings because of the possibility of night frosts.
- Melons. Scarifying the seeds increases the percentage of germination of seedlings. Soaking for 24 hours in a warm place with access to oxygen will also be an excellent stimulus for these plants to germinate.
Цветы and ornamental plants
- Aster. Future aster seedlings are very sensitive to transplanting, so you can, of course, sow the seeds more often, but it will be difficult to pick the plants: the roots of closely planted aster plants have a property to intertwine with each other, and the unformed roots of the second order are often damaged. As a result, the plant feels worse and takes longer to take root in the ground.
- Alissum. Various varieties of alissum are unpretentious in care and spectacular by their blossoming - luxurious caps-collections of hundreds and thousands of small inflorescences form colorful balls. They look equally well in flowerbeds as in the design of hanging planters and alpine mounts. The seedlings germinate quickly, there is no need for strong seed burial. It is important to provide a long daylight to avoid pulling the central trunks;
- Clematis. They are divided with minimal damage to the root system (so cold May with thawed but not yet warmed soil) and planted in separate containers, transferred to a warm place. As soon as the plants adapt and release the first confident shoots, they are transplanted into the ground;
- Helichrysum. Helichrysum seedlings sprout unpredictably: everything depends on the time of collection of seeds, their maturity. So it is better to make sure and plant aomore seedlings;
- Viola. Enjoys quick and friendly sprouts. When planting does not require strong embedding into the soil, it is enough to slightly sprinkle with soil;
Сажаем seeds for seedlings in May: Siberia
In Siberia, seeds should be planted for seedlings of several types of beneficial plants and vegetables:
- White cabbage (early)-early May;
- Savoy cabbage and cauliflower -early May;
- Broccoli- late April-first May;
- Leeks- first decade of May;
- Cucumbers- first half of May;
- Melons- first decade of May;
- Melons- first decade of May.
Обратите attention! If you want a crop early and you have a whole greenhouse at your disposal, don't get your hopes up too much: it all depends on the air and soil heat. But if there is a great need and a strong desire, we recommend insulating the beds in the greenhouse in advance, and even better - take care of the availability of shelter material.
Cultures which should be sown for seedlings in May in the Urals
The expediency of growing many vegetable crops through seedlings in May in the Urals is a good opportunity not to lose the harvest later under unstable weather conditions. Heat comes here much later, and, accordingly, the air and soil warm up more slowly. The following crops (vegetable and flower) should definitely be planted here in May:
- Арбузы и дыни;
- Душистый горошек;
Растения, that can be planted in the greenhouse in May
Hothouse temperatures warm up enough by May that ready seedlings that were planted in late February and March can be planted. In early Maya portion of the plants should be relocated from the windowsill. These are usually early-ripening varieties of the following crops:
- Bulgarian and hot peppers;
В mid-Maythere are some green crops to be planted in the greenhouse, which will later be eliminated due to the planting of the more significant ones - tomatoes, eggplants. However, as temporary greenhouse residents and useful components on your table, they are indispensable:
- Cress lettuce;
- Redish (early maturing);
- Green onion family;
- Green leaf lettuce.
Внимание! May days are different in different regions of Russia in terms of climate - temperature and amount of precipitation. As a rule, it is of great importance for the open ground: young immature plants may die, caught by a short but brutal night frost. But the ground in the greenhouse warms up much faster and more evenly, and the air temperature at night in an enclosed greenhouse is kept at values that are acceptable for comfortable plant growth. Therefore, we recommend that plants and seeds be planted in the greenhouse at approximately the same time in May, guided by the current ambient and greenhouse temperatures. For Siberia and the Urals, it is possible to shift the terms of planting ready-made seedlings and seeds in the greenhouse by 7-10 days later than the average Russian strip, but for southern regions this scenario would be too late - by May in southern Russia, plants are feeling great even in the open air.
Favorable planting days according to the lunar calendar in May 2022
Favorable days for sowing vegetable seeds:
- Cucumbers - 1, 2, 5, 6, 7, 12, 13, 14, 15, 23, 24, 27, 28
- Perries, eggplants - 1, 2, 5, 6, 7, 15, 23, 24, 27, 28
- Kale - 1, 2, 5, 6, 7, 12, 13, 14, 15, 23, 24, 27, 28
- garlic - 1, 2, 15, 17, 18, 19, 27, 28
- Bulbs - 1, 2, 5, 5, 6, 7, 15, 19, 23, 24, 27, 28
- Tomatoes - 1, 2, 5, 6, 7, 15, 23, 24, 27, 28
- Bow - 1, 2, 5, 6, 7, 15, 17, 18, 19, 23, 24, 27, 28
- Greens - 1, 2, 5, 6, 7, 15, 23, 24, 27, 28
Favorable days for sowing and planting flowers:
- Annual flowers 5, 6, 7, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 14, 15, 23, 24
- Biennial and perennial flowers 1, 2, 5, 6, 7, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 19, 20, 23, 24, 27, 28
- Bulb and tuber flowers - 1, 2, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 17, 18, 19, 20, 23, 24, 27, 28
Unfavorable days for sowing seeds:
- Banned for planting - 20, 21, 25, 26
Videos on what to plant in May
What vegetable crops can be sown in the open field and greenhouse. Watch it!
It is not without reason that our ancestors noticed that the more snow in winter, the better the plants feel in spring when planting in the open ground. And, indeed, this is true: melted snow will saturate the soil, accelerating the decomposition of accumulated organic matter and allowing plants to take advantage of the abundant moisture needed for growth and development as soon as possible. The winter of 2021-2022 season gives hope that the spring planting season will be easy and the plants will be supplied with water before the difficult, active and long-awaited growing season. We, in turn, hope that the May plantings will provide you with a good harvest later on and that the site will thrive. Have a fruitful spring, dear farmers and gardeners!