In order to grow strong and healthy seedlings, it is not enough just to water and fertilize a few times. Young plants need 12-14 hours of sunlight daily for normal growth, otherwise the seedlings start to stretch out, their stems become long and too thin.
But unfortunately in most Russian regions during the seedling growing period from the end of January to the end of March the light day is short, and in addition, cloudy weather prevails there. Therefore, seedlings should be additionally illuminated to create all conditions for normal growth and development. But to buy a lamp to light seedlings is not easy. And you need to know which bulb to choose so that your plants will get the light they need.
- Why the extra light for your seedlings
- How to light them
- What are the lamps for seedlings
- Luminescent light
- What lamps are not recommended for seedling light
- How to make your own lighted space for your seedlingsHow to light them yourself with the help of lamps. Growing sprouts with lamps
- Building up the lighting without lamps
- Bulb lighting
- Tips for lighting seedlings
- Videos on how to light your sprouts at home
Why the extra light for your seedlings
Brouting the seedlings usually takes place in March, and seeds of a number of flowers have to be planted even earlier, in February.
The light day is still too short at this time, about 8 hours or less, resulting in lack of light for proper growth and development of the seedlings. And the lack of light leads to seedling wilting: the foliage becomes pale and weak, the seed may not germinate at all, or the seedlings that emerge are too weak and do not develop well.
What the light should be
Additional light will be beneficial to seedlings if it meets the following requirements:
- У дополнительного освещения должна быть определенная продолжительность. Different types of seedlings require a certain length of daylight hours, which should be considered when using supplemental lighting. For example, some types of flowers may bloom with 13-14 hours of light, while others only need 10 hours.
- Have the right intensity. Different types of seedlings require different light intensities, from weak (3,000 lux) to bright (10,000 lux).
- The frequency of additional lighting, since plants are also lit a certain amount of time in natural conditions, not 24/7.
- It is not only necessary to combine all these factors correctly, but also to combine them accordingly. Therefore, the correct change of night and day must be secured when arranging supplementary lighting. This is why light-loving plants should not be extra-lighted with weak lamps - they will get sick even if the daylight hours are long enough.
- Warm (with long waves, red and orange). The orange-colored rays are 620-595 nm, the red-colored rays are 720-600 nm. And the temperature is usually 2700-3000 K.
- Cold (with short waves, blue and violet colors). Their wavelength is 490-380 nm. The temperature may be 4000-6500 K.
In order for the plants to develop normally, they need a certain spectral composition of extra light. The spectrum is conventionally divided into the following types:
The two parts of the spectrum are necessary for seedling growth and development, but they may have different effects on seedlings. On bulbs designed to provide extra light for seedlings, certain numbers are placed; the higher this number, the cooler the light.
It is best to select lamps for growing seedlings with a certain spectrum in which 1/10 part is red and the rest is blue.
The red type of spectrum activates chlorophyll formation, also affects rapid root development, promotes better fruit and bud formation.
The blue type of the spectrum aims to activate protein synthesis in crops as well as chlorophyll production, promotes better formation of vegetative mass, laying of new stems.
What are the lamps for seedlings
The main types of lamps with their advantages and disadvantages are described below.
All the criteria needed for seedling post-lighting are embodied in LED lamps that are most often used for seedling post-lighting. One of the main advantages of such devices is that they consume 3 times less electricity than conventional bulbs in chandeliers. Usually the warranty period of such devices - at least 100 & nbsp;000 hours.
There are bicolor LED lamps, which should be used to enhance plant growth, if the room has other sources of light (in a greenhouse or in greenhouse conditions). And full-spectrum LED lamps should be used where other light sources are absent or insufficient.